News

January 3, 2015

Happy New Year everyone! We hope you all had happy and safe holidays!

Next month is an important month for pets. For those of you who don't know, February is DENTAL MONTH! Did you know that pets need dental care too? Even the youngest of pets can have signs of dental disease. It's important that your pet maintains good oral health and hygiene. Problems with oral health may lead to infection and affect vital organs such as the heart and kidneys.

Oral health is always checked by the veterinarian during a general health exam, however if you suspect a problem, you should bring your pet in right away instead of waiting for their next check-up. 

Our clinic offers dental cleanings, dental surgery and retail dental care options.

There will be more info to come as February approaches. For now, make sure to mark your calendars, and give our clinic a call if you have any questions or concerns!

December 6, 2014

Everybody loves the holidays! It's a time for appreciation, giving, and celebrating. But believe it or not, this time of year is the most dangerous for your pet. It's important that you take preventative measures to protect your fur-babies. Here are some holiday hazards that you should watch out for, as well as tips to keep your pets happy and safe during the season. Because after all, they aren't just pets. They're family!

  • Food Hazards - Some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, bones and nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to pets. It's important that you keep your pets away from these foods, as well as let any family members or guests know that it is not okay to feed these to your pets. If you think your pet has been poisoned, call Animal Poison Control immediately (1-888-426-4435 or toll free 1-800-213-6680)
    • ​​Chocolate - Different types of chocolate contain various levels of caffeine, fat, and methylxanthines. Typically, the darker and richer the chocolate, the higher the risk of toxicity. Dogs might experience diarrhea, vomiting, urination, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures, depending on the amount of chocolate ingested.
    • Bones and Fat Trimmings - Dogs love chewing on bones, however cooked poultry bones (chicken, turkey) are very hazardous to your dog and pose a choking threat. Poultry bones can splinter and break easily, even the largest ones. These splinters can send shards through the dogs intestines, and if the lining is pierced, can result in deadly peritonitis. Some raw or cooked beef bones can be substituted for poultry bones. The bone should be big enough that it cannot be swallowed by the dog. Be sure to supervise your dogs chewing, and throw out the bone after a few hours of chewing or if they get broken into pieces that can be swallowed. Fat trimmings, from raw or cooked meat, should be avoided as they may cause pancreatitis.
    • Nuts - Almonds, non-moldy walnuts and pistachios can cause an upset stomach or an obstruction of your dogs throat and/or intestinal tract. Macadamia nuts and moldy walnuts can be toxic, causing seizures or neurological signs. Lethargy, loss of muscle control and vomiting are among the effects of nut ingestion.
  • Decorations - Who doesn't love a bright, colourful, sparkling Christmas tree this time of year?  It's important that when decorating your tree and household for the holidays, you keep hazardous decorations out of reach from your pets, or keep the tree off-limits to your furry friends.
    • Tinsel and Ornaments - Tinsel is not toxic, however it is very attractive to pets, especially cats. Once tinsel is consumed, it can cause serious injury to your pet. This foreign body ingestion could be fatal, as it twists and bunches inside your pets intestines. Immediate veterinary care would be required. Glass, aluminum and paper ornaments should be placed higher up on the tree where your pet can't reach them. These are fragile and the broken pieces can be a choking hazard, as well as lacerate the mouth, throat, and intestines of your pet.
    • Christmas Lights and Candles - Electrical cords and holiday lights are a hazard to pets that like to chew. Chomping down on an electrical cord will cause electrical shock, tongue lacerations and possible death. The bulbs on Christmas lights are also a choking and laceration hazard. It's important that you check your holiday lights for fraying, loose bulbs, and any signs of chewing. Use a 3-prong extension cord for your lights as a safety precaution. Place any candles in hard to reach places where your pets cannot access them or knock them over. This will prevent potential burns to your pet, as well as prevent any fires.
  • Holiday Plants - Plants such as mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are toxic to cats and dogs. Contrary to popular belief, the poinsettia plant isn't the most dangerous. However, if ingested, it will cause irritation to the mouth, stomach and sometimes cause vomiting. Mistletoe is one of the most dangerous plants, as it causes significant vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, hallucinations, erratic behavior and death when ingested. Do your best to keep these plants away from your pets during the holidays.
  • Stress - With guests and unfamiliar faces coming in and out of the home, it is easy for your pet to get stressed out. It's very important that you inform all guests (especially children) the rules of your pet. Remember not to ignore your pet, since this is an extra stressful time for them. With the hustle and bustle going on around the house, it's important that you continue with your pets daily routine and continue giving them lots of attention. Please do not leave your pet outside if you do not want him or her socializing with the guests. Place them in a quiet, safe room away from all the loud noises and commotion, and ensure that they have all their necessary resources (remember to take them outside every now and then to avoid any accidents in the room!). Make sure to check on them frequently and give some attention before returning to the festivities. ​

​The staff at CSVH wish you and your beloved pets a safe and happy holiday season! :)

No embed code settings found. Please configure it

Office Hours

Monday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed

Location

Find us on the map

Testimonial

  • "" I love coming to Columbia Summit Vet Hospital, not only do I get treats when I have been good, the staff are great too. I love coming to see Dr. Hunter because he is so nice and when I have to get shots he does them quickly so they aren't painful and after I get treat. I also know that my Furry Cat Sisters love coming too, not as much as I do because they don't like the car ride but they know if they don't feel good Columbia Summit will do everything they can to make it better. Thanks for always taking care of me and my Sisters.""
    Hershey Brown

Featured Articles

Read about interesting topics

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for more articles